Well, after along time of thinking about what I was going to do to this thing. I decided not to restore it to manufactures spec's. The drive system is such a poor design, that putting it back to original condition wouldn't do it justice. I want something I can use! I can't believe that they sold this vehicle, at least the one I've got, with the configuration that it has and from what I understand they changed the drive system of this vehicle, over the years that it was produced. Mine has no emergency brake, so if you were on a hill and the engine died... JUMP!!!! The worst part of the drive system is the transmission. The engine is a kohler k662 22hp, not a bad motor in it's day. I called kohler about rebuilding it. they said I could, but I should up grade to a new motor, because of parts and performance. So, I'm going to put a new Kohler Command 20hp and ether a T20, or Argo Transmission in. I'm leaning towards the Argo Tranny because of the Hi and Lo range.
UPDATE... After playing around with the second Cat that I bought. I've come to like the drive train set up. The only thing it needs is an emergency brake. They definitely weren't built for speed! Lots of power! I had to move my Coot, and I used the Cat to tow it. It pulled the 1500 lb Coot, up a 15% grade, at ideal. It was like it wasn't there! It does still need the engine upgrade. I have the Kohler 20 that I bought to use in my other Cat, but I think I'm going to buy a Honda 24 V-twin to use in the Camo Cat. It will definitely improve it's performance...
First Day Home.
Someone added a Paddle Wheel and a upper section made from 2x6 Planks. I removed all this. See next pictures.
I removed all the drive components.
Here's a few shots of the inside with everything removed.
I have a few more things to do, and then I'm going to Sandblast the body, and patch some holes.
Here's a shot of the Kohler k662.
What I plan to do.
Removed the Frame
Someone added a home made Snowplow.
The only things left to remove are the Control Sticks and Wiring.
Removed all Wiring, Control Sticks and Master Cylinder.
This Pedal is for pumping up the Clutch Cylinder which engaged the Drive Belt.
Started to Sand the Body. Got a long way too go!
One of the previous owners patched the body.( Filled in Dents )
Started to Sandblast the body... Not a fun job! I have an inexpensive unit which clogs a lot.
Started to Sandblast some of the Sprockets. Here are some before and after shots.
The Sandblasting is coming along slow but sure.
Here's some before and after shots form the back.
Right now I'm getting all the heavy rust off.
Then I will fine Sandblast it.
Finished the first coat of Primer on the inside.
Next I'll Sandblast the Fuel Tank and Prime it.
First Coat of Primer.
Stop back for updates!
Haven't spent anytime on the Catagator. I've been working on my Trackster and Coot. Hope to get back to it soon. Keep checking back for up dates!
Decided to keep the kohler k-662 and see if I can get it running better then it does. It idles fine but when you give it throttle it won't pick up RPM's. I'm going to rebuild the Carburetor first. I've called Kohler, just waiting to hear from them about parts. Here are a few photos.
Well... Got the K-662 running but Kohler tells me that they no longer support this engine! You can still get Rings and Pistons and some gaskets but nothing else! It's an antique! Luckily the compression is good... I cleaned the Carb and fixed the fuel regulator and that's all it needed.
Resumed work on the Catagator. Began Sandblasting the Frame.
Finished the frame and the Clutches.
Started to reinstall drive components. Had the Clutch Bands Relined. Bought a Kohler Command 20hp to use with this Vehicle. Should receive it in about a week.
Before and After shot.
Bought New # 50 Roller Chain.